So, as you may know by now, I do this thing, where I get an idea in my head, and I can't really stop thinking about said idea until something is done about said idea. This little quality (not sure if that's really the correct description) of mine stands true for most aspects of my life, but it really rears its ugly head with my DIY projects
Enter our previous kitchen chandelier. I loved our chandelier before. There was really nothing wrong with it. But something was just telling me that the space in our kitchen above our table was made for MORE. And, once again, I couldn't get this idea out of my head. And, I've got a thing for rehabbing chandeliers. So I tossed around different ideas, and even considered starting from scratch with an entirely new fixture, but I just couldn't justify it. I had a perfectly functioning light that hung above my table that was only a few years old. Well, I think we all know where this is going, and if you don't, well, DO YOU EVEN KNOW ME?! I kid, I kid, but for real. We allll know where this is going...
I took the opportunity to jump on this project while my husband was out of town. I honestly didn't plan on working on it while he was gone. It just happened. I SWEAR. Was it convenient that he wasn't around to question why on earth I would paint a new-ish chandelier? Well, yeah. But I swear that it wasn't planned. Anywho, with no one around to question my impulsivity, I got to work.
The first thing I had to do was figure out exactly what I was going to do with the thing, but I knew one thing: all the wood and white tones in my home were really working for me, so I decided to roll with that. So, I was faced with the task of making my metallic chandelier appear to be wood toned. Challenge accepted.
One thing that I have accepted about myself is that when I do a project, I want it quick, yet effective. I want the easiest route to the prettiest outcome, and in this case, chalk paint was the answer. I'm no stranger to chalk paint, and if you remember from here and here, I kind of love the stuff. It never really occurred to me to use it on much other than furniture, but in this case it was an absolutely perfect choice. First off, I didn't need to sand anything down, which was great because sanding a chandelier sounds like something that I did not want to partake in. Second, it dries quickly and is so easy to work with. I quickly checked my own inventory, and, JACKPOT. I had a barely used jar of Martha Stewart's chalk paint in the color "clay"
I quickly laid down a drop cloth (you are welcome, honey) on our kitchen table, climbed my little tush up there and started painting before I changed my mind. PHEW, I liked it. I put two coats on the frame of the light fixture as well as the pvc piping that I had already placed as covers for the light. That's right, folks. That's pvc piping. This light originally had standard globes that you see on many chandeliers, and I had already removed those and placed some pvc piping in their place in order to cover up the exposed lamp sockets. As a little twist of fate, 2 1/4 inch pvc piping fit PERFECTLY into the base. This might actually be a thing for many light fixtures as well, because I believe that the globes that we previously in place were a standard size used in many fixtures. So, back to the painting. 2 coats on. Check!
Once those were dry, I wanted to add a bit more dimension, and since I recommend using wax over chalk paint anyways, I opted for a dark wax. I used Minwax Finishing Wax in Special Dark because I wanted the wax to be darker than my paint. This is not always the case with chalk painting, but in this particular instance, I knew that a darker wax would give the illusion of a wood grain, which was exactly what I was going for. I prefer to apply the finishing wax for chalk paint with a paper towel, and you can see the tutorial on this here. There are brushes that are made for this, but a good ole paper towel works for me. But you do you, boo. I applied a little wax, let it dry, and would add more as I felt needed until it appeared that the fixture was now wood. I was pretty happy with it so far, but it still needed a little something...
A little something like some wooden beads. I LOVE them as an addition, and it was so easy! I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some natural wood beads (I used 20mm) and fishing line, which you can find at any craft store near the jewelry supplies. I strung the first line and tied each end, and mimicked the others in the same way. Voila, ladies and gentlemen! I had a brand new "wood" chandelier. And I have to tell you- I get SO many complements on this thing and questions about where I bought it. The best part of this DIY, along with most of the others might even be that I get to say that you can't buy it anywhere... because it's custom. Cheers!